Let's create a Mork Org character!
This week I'll finish (at least for now) my character creation series of Borg-like games characters made for a future project of mine. That's because these character will finally be used! More on that at the end of this post.
This time we're going with Mork Org by CM Lowry and Dave Emmerson, a game where "The Office" meets Mork Borg, between possessed photocopiers and random tables for meaningless job titles. It's crazy and insane...and I love it! Without further ado, let's get into it!
1. First of all we'll roll for our CAREER (this game's classes, obviously), d10: 8, Hyper-vigilant watchman. I guess we'll be the building guard, then. It has a couple of abilities:
-Blood has been shed: +1 STR in any fight where blood is spilt (sic);
-Keeper of the Peace: if you've brought "peace" to a situation, roll a d8. If the roll is higher than the body count, gain the difference in Promotion Points (this game's way to handle level ups), but if it's lower, lose the difference in Promotion Points.
We also get a Skill (which in this game is one of the 5 abilities, but each career has a different one specific to its theme), Peace at any cost, and a Specialism (a specialty related to the skill which gets double the Skill modifier...either positive or negative), d6: 6, Trauma-induced flashback.
Lastly for this section, our career gives us a couple of tables to roll on:
-How you got the gig..., d6: 3, You once hid in an empty office block, hiding from a terrible war. The conflict ended decades ago, but no one's told you.
-Also on the CV, d6: 1, "I love the smell of Napalm in the meeting...", once per session you can attempt DR16 Skill to call in a targeted gaseous air strike. Causes d12 damage to all characters in a room, any harmed are on fire for d6 turns too, taking d4 damage per turn.
2. Time to roll for our ABILITIES, for which this game has 3 options: standard 3d6 down the line, d4-d4, or "Tell me why you love me", where players bargain with the HR Manager (this game's GM) to be assigned their stats. Since I'm alone here and 3d6 is so common, I'll go with the d4-d4 method:
-Agility: 3-1 => +2
-Presence: 4-4 => 0
-Strength: 2-3 => -1
-Toughness 4-4 => 0
-Skill 3-4 => -1 (therefore Specialism => -2);
3. Now we roll a couple of STARTING THINGS for our character:
-HP, TOU+d8 = 0+8 => 8
-Perks (this game's Omens), d2: 1
-Weekly Payslip, 2d6x10 => 70 ₵ cash.
4. Next we determine our STARTING GEAR:
-Container, d6: 3, Threadbare rucksack (holds 5 items, roll d6 per day, lose an item on 1)
-Table 1, d12: 4, Ballpoint pen (d4). Ink color, d4: 4, Poison ink
-Table 2, d12: 12, Wheely office chair (ride into battle to gain Initiative/+2 to first attack roll)
-Weapon, d10 twice and choose favorite (because of our class): 8, Letter spike (d6) or 7, Holepunch (d6)
-Suit (armor), d2+2: 4, Executive (-d6 damage, but +4DR to AGI tests and +2DR to defense rolls);
5. It's now time to know better our character by rolling their BACKGROUND and a couple more tables:
-Remarkable résumé, d20: 18, I bring my (many, demonic, non house-trained) pets to work with me
-Work Wear, d12: 1, Unnaturally hairy limbs
-Heinous habit, d12: 6, I claim others' ideas as my own.
6. Lastly, we need a NAME for our character, but sadly there's no table for that, so...Steve it is.
And here we are! This is one of my favorite Borg-like games, so full of character and quirkiness! There's also a Company generator, but I'll wait to use it, since I might use a pre-written adventure for this character (the rulebook has multiple). Speaking of that, this is the last character in this Borg-like character creation series, because next time (in 3 weeks, if I keep following my schedule) I'll begin the solo campaign that will use most (or all) of this characters, inspired by an idea I wrote about a while ago: Isekai Borg. See you for episode 0, when I'll explain in more detail how the campaign will work!
This is all for this week, see you next Sunday for my next post!

Comments
Post a Comment